plus size locker room

Locker Room Chronicles

Locker Room Chronicles

The locker room; where the sweat, balls, boobs hang free and awkward conversations are happening.
Tonight after my Zumba class I went into the locker room to grab my stuff; and of course friendly me saw the instructor and classmate there and said “hello, see you next time”. The instructor left, I turned to my classmate and said “that was a great class”. That’s when it started, us talking about how much we enjoyed the class. During this conversation I’m discretely changing but she decided to do the opposite and lay it all out there. I’m use to naked bodies because I grew up with sisters and I had the common gym class experience in high school. However in both scenarios a bit of  towel courtesy was present as though showing to much and lingering would set an unwanted tone.

via GIPHY

Well there I was changing and talking, I looked around and saw few of the ladies who had an astonish and uncomfortable look on their faces as they looked at the situation unfold. They held their towels a little tighter, eagerly holding it in place frightened by the chance of it falling and showing the locker room what WE ALL HAVE. All I could do was smile in my mind. I smiled because a locker room is like your bedroom. You want to walk around naked and feel comfortable. To all I say, be confident and comfortable in your own skin.
So why does this happen in the locker room?
People are comfortable undressing in front of others due to them seeing a familiar face, a person whom you shared a common experience with. i.e the workout class. I believe it lowers any inhibitions that you may have. We are essentially in this case from the same tribe; Zumba Tribe. We sweated, screamed, jumped together and now we are in the same locker room smelling of hard work together.
Therefore, embrace your fellow locker room buddy, you never know, you might find confidence in self or a new workout buddy. If there are any guys reading this, let me know if the vibe is equally as mixed in a males locker room.
PS. I’m not condoning inappropriate behavior, if you don’t feel comfortable get out and exit stage left quickly. Just remember this classmate of mine was expressing a form of body confidence. She is comfortable in her own skin and for that, I applaud her.
Until next time continue #ActivelyLIVING while #LivingACTIVELY.

11 Comments

• Reply Marsha September 5, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Yeah…I’m not there yet lol! Not sure if I’ll ever by comfortable exposing my bare body in front of people in a locker room. I do think it’s great to have that level of confidence though.

• Reply Kemkem September 5, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Haha! Since moving to Europe, l’ve just come to accept it. They walk around like it’s nothing. Going to the spa, l am usually one of the few who has a bathing suit on 🙂

• Reply LaQuisha Hall September 5, 2016 at 4:56 pm

I believe 100% in being comfortable and confident in your own skin! I used to not like to change in front of others because of how thin am but now people are amazed at how I look and say they wish they could show their bodies off in the way that I do. I don’t care anymore! God said everything He made was good, LOL.

• Reply Antoinette September 6, 2016 at 12:05 am

Many people lack body confidence so they become uncomfortable when around someone who’s comfortable in their own skin. My thoughts…

• Reply Tiffany H September 6, 2016 at 2:09 pm

I personally wouldn’t let it hang all out in the locker room. I’m 50/50, I want to sat if the person is comfortable go ahead, but then what if more people are uncomfortable with it. But i guess if there are no clear rules, then she is free to let it all hang out!

• Reply Latoya @ Life and a Budget September 6, 2016 at 8:47 pm

I’ve never been the one to care about someone getting dressed and undressed in front of me. Never even phases me and I guess that’s just how I grew up. I know plenty of folks who would cover up their goodies, but I can easily assure them if they are undressing in front of me, I ain’t looking, lol.

• Reply Mimi Green September 7, 2016 at 12:03 am

I’m never the all out nude girl in the locker room. I like my body but I don’t force it on others. I’m going to need everyone to offer that same courtesy.

• Reply Ty September 7, 2016 at 12:32 am

You go, girl!! I’m one of those who just don’t feel comfortable letting it all hang loose in the locker room. LOL!

• Reply VeePeeJay (Vashti) September 7, 2016 at 1:17 am

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with being comfortable in your own skin. No one should be shamed for that.

• Reply Tia September 7, 2016 at 8:16 pm

It is awesome that she felt comfortable to “bear it all” in the locker room; however, I may have felt a bit uncomfortable!

• Reply Tomiko September 7, 2016 at 9:40 pm

I’m completely comfy in my skin too.. I will get buck naked in a heart beat. We all have the same thing and y’all don’t want me so I’m not worried