Waxing (Bikini) for the first time
If you’ve never been to a waxing salon in your life, today is the day to read about it.
Recently I went with my friends to Uni K Wax Center salon in Brooklyn, NY. I was going with an open mind with knowledge that it would hurt…You see, I didn’t go to get my eyebrows or legs waxed. Oh no! this was done in preperation for my birthday trip that I’ll be taking in a few days to the islands.
One of my friends already went to this place and recommended it. She also made the appointment on our behalf and all we had to do was show up. I went in and it was a modern, clean space. I told the receptionist my name, but she couldn’t find me. It was a slight miscommunication but in the end it worked out. This may have made a newbie turn around and leave because she had to ask the different types of services I wanted, while there were people in ear shot of the conversation. That didn’t bother me at all, by the looks of it, they looked as if they were there for a similar service.
I proceeded to tell the women what I wanted and asked questions about some other treatments they offered. She answered my questions and I waited for my name to be called.
If your wondering what service I had…. well if you didn’t guess by the title, I had a full front bikini wax…yep down there.
Here are a few things you should know before going.
- Relax: Know that your vagina is not the first one the worker has seen, especially for that day.
Remember to go to a location that specializes in waxing body hairs,not nails. This is key because they are licensed estheticians that know what they are doing and how to wax properly. If you are worried about your lady smell, make sure you bring your own wipes and use them before you get there. However, I say don’t worry about that part because unless you have a strong famine smell you will be okay since this location gives you a wipe before the procedure begins.
2. Research: Do your research, especially if its your first time and you didn’t get a referral from someone you know personally. This is important because this is sensitive and personal part of your body and should be treated as such.
Speaking of personal…… its hot wax and she gets/sees everything!!
3. Communicate: Both the receptionist and my esthetician asked me if it was my first time. This is crucial because it showed that they cared and it set a tone for my first experience to be a good one. They were attentive and allowed me to move at my own pace.
4. Get comfortable: I laid down on the table, put my headphones on and she began. She had no problem with doing so and didn’t try to make it awkward by attempting to spark meaningless conversation. We spoke about it being my first time and she would direct me to where she would like for me to lift, hold and spread.
5.Pricing: Being a plus size women, know that you are not the first fuller women for them to be tending to. Know that you should not be paying more for your wax just because you are larger in comparison to “average” size. The last time I checked a vagina is just that…..a vagina and all women have them.
6.Respect: If you feel uncomfortable, LEAVE! Don’t ever stay where you don’t feel comfortable. Know your worth!
7. There is a fan that is placed at an angle facing your vagina to help with the heat from the wax.
8. In certain areas, it does hurt and because of this…. get ready!!
Hope this helps anyone who is interested in a bikini wax.
Note: Due to you having more to love, that also mean you have more to work with. Go there knowing that you will be in different positions to allow every nook to be tended to. Some lifting and holding might be needed as well.
Would I do this again? I think that depends on how it grows back. Based on that I will know if I will return with waxing.